Saturday, October 1, 2011

Sleeper of the Week: Installment I

Since I am short-handed at RB this week, I was considering my options with the available players in the waiver pool.

I signed Dexter McCluster and plan to use the WR/RB for the Chiefs as my flex starter.

With star RB Jaamal Charles done for the season, the Chiefs wanting to spread the ball around, and McCluster showing flashes of greatness, I expect him to get more than 12 touches per game.

McCluster's situation reminds me of how Peyton Hillis developed last year: versatile and productive players, on teams that want to run the ball, and both with key injuries at the RB position.

Now, McCluster's small frame certainly does not translate into a Hillis 30-carry game, but having a serviceable veteran QB in Cassel can only help prevent defenses from keying on Chiefs' runners.

Plus, last week as the Chiefs rallied and just fell short of defeating the Chargers, McCluster's rushing was a key component of the team's second-half charge.  His over 6 yards per carry should force Chiefs' coaches to involve Dexter more in the offense.

I am looking for a base of 8 fantasy points, and hoping he sneaks in a touchdown--finishing the game of against the Vikings with a double-digit total.

We will see.

_______________

Post Game Update:  This is where someone shouts "Don't quit your day job" and I just shake my noggin.  Dexter finished with less than four fantasy points on the day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome--thanks.